✣ Software Developer
I combine a depth of knowledge in the C/C++ LAMP/Windows space with the ability to identify the core problem and be flexible/creative in my approach to solving it, and the backbone to carry the problem to solution. I have the paradoxical ability to solve hard problems independently (without constant supervision), and simultaneously be a team player.
- Decades of experience doing back-end low-level C/C++ on Linux and Windows (including 3 years on the Microsoft C++ team, and 3 years as lead developer at Boeing on a line-critical system (if our system failed, the aircraft production lines halted).
- Current areas of focus:
- Aggregating and statistically analyzing OS metrics (file, memory, cpu, etc.) on cloud instances of Linux and Windows
- Parsers (e.g. ANTLR)
- Group Theory/Tessellations
Instructor at Monterey Peninsula College (3 years) teaching primarily Statistics and Algebra
William composes in a "neo-medieval" style influenced by the ’mystic minimalists’ such as Gorecki, Arvo Pärt and Hovhaness on the one hand and music like the Buxheimer Orgelbuch (c.1460) on the other.
- He has composed original music for eight CDs to date (click here)
- He composes for film scores (click here). The hour-long documentary Entre Marte & Svalbard (Between Mars & Svalbard) for which William composed the film score aired on RTP2 (the Portuguese equivalent of PBS).
- Commissions include:
- University of Redlands, CA Wind Ensemble
- Musicians of the King’s Road (Finland)
- Texas A&M
- Orchestra Seattle
- Seattle Philharmonic
- I Cantori di Carmel (Monterey, CA)
- William is a member of ASCAP
William was (now retired) one of the few professional players in the world on the ‘glass armonica’ — an instrument invented by Benjamin Franklin in 1761 (it works on the ‘wet finger around the wine glass’ idea). William has performed on the glass armonica internationally, including at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, and with the Blue Man Group at the Hollywood Bowl. Playing the glass armonica, William was also a 'clue' on Jeopardy (filmed 2017 Dec 6, air date 2018 March 21).
He has also performed on film scores including as HBO’s Taking Chance and the feature films Big Hero 6 and Beautiful Creatures.
|With the Blue Man Group
at the Hollywood Bowl (YouTube)
|With "Musicians of the
King’s Road" in Finland
|At Texas A & M||On the sound stage of Fox Studios in Hollywood,
this time for "Big Hero 6", score by Henry Jackson
William is also a professional pianist, organist and harpsichordist.
|In Hong Kong||At Redlands, CA United
Methodist Church (YouTube)
In 2013 William published the first book-length history of the glass armonica: The Glass Armonica — the Music and the Madness, a project which took 14 years of research to track down the primary sources and piece together the story (far stranger than I could have imagined at the outset). The book includes extensive translations into English for the first time of significant documents in the history of the glass armonica from their original Latin, French, and German (more about the book, click here).
William has also published a book on Musical Gematria (click here)
A sample page of archaic German
- BFA in Harpsichord, California Institute of the Arts (for my senior recital I played the Bach Goldberg Variations from memory on a harpsichord I had rebuilt)
- Paid my own way through this private college by supplementing a California State Academic scholarship (which covered about 30% of my tuition) with my own music business — playing music, teaching students, building harpsichords and restoring pianos in my workshop.
- Mathematical coursework:
- Calculus through partial differential equations, linear algebra, finite mathematics, probability & statistics (Monterey Peninsula College)
- Combinatorics (California State University San Jose)